- Argentina – a folk music festival will be held in the municipality of Alba Posse to publicize the community's stance against planned mega-dams Garabi and Pnambi.
- Burma – for their 7th year of participation in Day of Action for Rivers to stop the Tamanthi Dam, all affected villages will gather near the dam site to pray for an end to the dam's construction.
- Pakistan – along Lake View Park in Islamabad there will be a "Walk of Awareness," speeches about river conservation, and a poster-making competition.
- US – here in Berkeley, California, International Rivers will host an event called "Occupy the Marsh - Take Back Our Rivers!" with poetry, live music, and dance performances.
- Create an event on Facebook and post it on the wall of Day of Action for Rivers on Facebook.
- Tweet your event, and be sure to include #one4rivers!
- Email me photos and details of your event, and I'll make sure to add it to our website.
International Day of Action For Rivers
This March 14 marks the 15th annual celebration of the International Day of Action for Rivers.
March 14 is the International Day of Action For Rivers and Against Dams. Every year hundreds of people around the world lift their voices to celebrate the world's rivers and the thousands of people who struggle to protect them. The International Day of Action For Rivers is a day to celebrate victories such as dam removal and river restoration. It is a day to take to the streets, demonstrate and demand improvements in the policies and practices of decision makers. It is a day to educate one another about the threats facing our rivers, and learn about better water and energy solutions. Above all, it is a day to unite – by acting together, we demonstrate that these issues are not merely local, but global in scope.
What will you do for your river on March 14?
If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, join International Rivers and Occupy The Marsh to Take Back Our Rivers on March 14!
Visit the 2012 Actions by Region page to see what others are planning.
History of the International Day of Action For RiversThe International Day of Action Against Dams and For Rivers, Water and Life was adopted by the participants of the first International Meeting of People Affected by Dams, March 1997 in Curitiba Brazil. Representatives from 20 countries decided that the International Day of Action would take place on March 14 - Brazil's Day of Action Against Large Dams. Our aim on this International Day of Action For Rivers, is to raise our voices in unison against destructive water development projects, reclaim the health of our watersheds, and demand the equitable and sustainable management of our rivers.
Read the Day of Actions for Rivers blog to learn about actions in the past years!
How you can get involvedPlan your own event or join with others already planning events on March 14th. Talk to partners who are already planning events or have done so in the past through the Day of Action For Rivers Facebook page. Email us at email@example.com with information about your event and be sure to take lots of photos and video.
Here are just a few ideas for events:
- Plan a march or protest to honor your river and publicize your demands.
- Paddle down a river, dance beside a river, jump into a river.
- Hold a religious ceremony at the river.
- Use theater, film and music to connect with your community and encourage them to share in the celebration.